Google not too long ago up to date its Android distribution numbers after six months of silence. Issues are wanting fairly good—10 p.c of all Android units at the moment are operating the newest model, which places adoption forward of schedule.
It’s no secret that full Android OS updates are sluggish to roll out to units past a choose few like Pixel and Important, so seeing Pie at 10 p.c adoption eight months after launch is a bit shocking. For comparability, it took Nougat and Oreo ten months every to hit the identical quantity, which exhibits progress even when 10 p.c continues to be small compared to Android units on the entire.
As for the opposite numbers, Oreo is now on 28 p.c of units, with Nougat on 19 p.c. Marshmallow, Lollipop, and KitKat are operating 17 p.c, 14.5 p.c, and seven p.c of units, respectively, placing the three latest variations (Nougat, Oreo, and Pie) on almost 58 p.c of all Android units within the wild. That’s rather a lot higher than how the numbers regarded simply a few years in the past.
The elevated adoption fee is probably going due to Mission Treble, which Google created simply for that reason: to assist producers construct sooner updates for his or her units. Hopefully, it will proceed to be a development, and adoption charges will develop and exceed expectations since Treble is a function producers have been required to implement since Oreo.
Whereas 10 p.c continues to be nothing to brag about eight months after launch—particularly in comparison with iOS 12, which was at 83 p.c adoption as of February 2019—it once more exhibits some promise for the way forward for Android OS updates. All new units now help Treble out of the field, so right here’s to hoping for sooner OS updates for all Android units shifting ahead.
In different information, Amazon is releasing a safety digital camera with two years of battery life, Roku has 29.1 million customers, a Galaxy Fold launch date is coming, and extra.
- The brand new Blink digital camera will get two years of battery life on a pair of AA batteries: Movement detection, two-way discuss, and extra are alongside for the trip within the new Blink XT2. All for $100. [Amazon]
- Roku’s consumer base grows, however it’s not sufficient: Roku now has 29.1 million customers averaging three.5 hours of system utilization per day, however that’s nonetheless not sufficient for it to interrupt even on working prices with hardware alone. However with the corporate taking a extra aggressive strategy in its advert enterprise, it nonetheless expects to have a bang-up 12 months. [Engadget]
- A Fold launch date is coming…sooner or later: Samsung was initially anticipated to announce a Galaxy Fold launch date “as we speak or tomorrow,” however now it’s backtracking on that promise, stating that date will probably be introduced “within the coming weeks.” It’s been a tough trip for the Fold. [Engadget]
- Google says its music apps have 15 million subscribers: That’s far fewer than Spotify or Apple Music, however greater than Pandora. Now if the corporate may resolve on one music service and keep it up, that may be nice. [Bloomberg]
- Alexa helps 60,000 units: Amazon quietly up to date its Alexa help documentation stating that it really works with some 60okay units from 7,400 manufacturers. That’s a huge bounce from the 20okay it supported in September 2018. [Android Police]
In some cool information for the sneakerheads on the market (or, , different individuals who simply type of like sneakers), Nike goes to start out utilizing AR to point out you ways kicks look in your ft earlier than you drop a whole lot of moneydollars on them. It’s coming to the Nike app this summer time. What a neat, sensible use for AR. I dig it. [Engadget]